Monday 25 May 2015

Personal: Hello England

It's been just over two weeks since I said goodbye to Aberdeen, loaded a frankly ridiculous amount of boxes in the back of a moving van and hopped on a 9 hour train to Oxford, England.

Since then, I've been staying at my boyfriend's parents' house near Oxford and commuting to Oxford for my work experience. I've also been flat hunting (which proved a success!). The two weeks have gone by unbelievably quickly, and to be frank, it's also been exhausting. This past weekend I made a little trip to London to visit a friend (and raid the Oxford St Lush store, shhhh) and now I finally feel a little more relaxed and like I can sit down and write. I haven't actually even opened my laptop on multiple days, and if I have, it's usually to use Google Maps for journey planning. This is unheard of for me, who usually spends about 5 hours a day staring at their laptop screen. But yeah, it's been that busy.

Hopefully it'll be less busy from now on and I will be able to take some photos for posts (surprisingly difficult when you're living out of a single suitcase and generally home after 7pm). I've got another week of work experience left, after which my boyfriend will be back in the UK. Then I'll start looking for a full-time job, go back to Aberdeen to graduate on the 15th of June and on 6th of July we will move into our flat!

Regarding the flat... Despite my previous plans to find us a place within a cycling distance of the Oxford city centre, we ended up deciding to rent in the same town that Nick grew up in. It's half an hour from Oxford, so not very far away, but still not quite what I planned. But we decided that being able to have 2 bedrooms in a lovely modern flat right in the centre, a couple of minutes away from the bus stop, for the same price as a grotty 1 bed in Botley, was a pretty good deal. Even if means living 20 minute walk away from his parents and grandparents – something which I definitely did not plan. And no, I don't dislike them — at all. I like them, and I'm very grateful for their support so far and in the next few weeks while we wait for our flat to become available. But I'm 3.5 hours away from my family by plane and have never been closer than 30 minutes drive to any family member previously, so it feels a little too close. And not living in a city is not something I ever wanted either.

Anyway. Expect some homeware hauls, wishlists and probably a little tour in late July/August when we've settled in and I've had the chance to decorate a little bit. And hopefully outfit posts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment